Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Lovely Sylvia White

I had the great good fortune of having Sylvia White visit my studio yesterday afternoon. After several years of being inspired by her newsletters coupled with crippling post exhibition blues that were making it difficult to get back to the easel, I decided it was time to hire Sylvia to guide me making the next move with my career.

She was gracious and lovely, in addition to telling the hard truths without sugar coating - a character trait I admire, particularly in business. She had reviewed all my online material and came prepared with a consultation kit. She advised me on the holes that existed in my resume and made suggestions about how to fill them. She left me with homework and the feeling that I'm moving in the right direction.

Marketing your work is a matter of casting out your line continuously, keep knocking on doors, keep asking for your work to be seen, and most importantly, know what it is that you want. What is your end goal?

I heard in a lecture, long ago, the line "how do you know which direction to set sail if you don't know which port your are aiming for?" A few minor changes in your steering can multiply the shift in your trajectory exponentially in the long haul, so best to know what it is you are attempting in order to make the right adjustments. Small changes can have enormous impact, which means baby steps.... always baby steps. Growing slowly keeps the fear from ruling your decisions.

Thank you Sylvia for the confidence and the encouragement. Thank you also for the suggestions and even the homework. You are a treasure and an invaluable asset.

If anyone is wondering if I would recommend Sylvia's services? I would say it is one of the best places to invest your time and money.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails