Saturday, July 30, 2011

Eyes and Ears

Books I have currently read, am reading and will read. I seem to be on a binge of reading books about making paintings. Even the crime novel has a painter depicted. Hmmmm.

I would recommend all these books. I particularly loved The Forgery of Venus for the twists and also the description of painting during the time of Velasquez and Rembrandt in the 1600s.

If you want something wonderfully fantastical but steeped in the english language and all about literature I would direct you to the Thursday Next novels by Jasper Fforde, starting with the Eyre Affaire. I won't say more than they are delightful, creative and great reads {the audio, if you're game, is even better I think!}.

Madame Bovary was interesting to read again after many many years. I'm always happy to have been born in this century after reading an historical depiction of a long ago era where women were suppressed. Even reading something of this nature would have been scandalous in the 1800s.

The Forgery of Venus by Michael Gruber

Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova

In the studio I'm listening to audio books... I'm so addicted.

Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert

One of our Thursdays is Missing by Jasper Fforde

Interview with a Vampire by Anne Rice

What's on your summer reading list?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails